Sunday

Miss Representation

I had the opportunity to see an interesting documentary this week and since my blog is read mostly by women, I thought it was important to share about it in place of a craft post. The documentary is called Miss Representation and was written, produced, and directed by Jennifer Siebel Newsom. Siebel-Newsom narrates the documentary and dedicates it to her daughter in hopes that the future will be better for her. 

The documentary's focus is on the media and how it is a contributor to the under-representation of women in positions of power and influence. It asserts that the media is a driving force in shaping cultural norms and that the current collective message to both young men and women is that a woman’s value and power lie in her youth, beauty, and sexuality, and not in her intellect or capacity as a leader. 

The film features stories from teenage girls and interviews with politicians, journalists, entertainers, activists and academics. While I do not agree with all the messages in this film, it is thought-provoking and in my opinion worth a view. It has encouraged me to look more critically at what I see on TV and encourages me to think about picking up a book before flipping the switch!

Take a peak at it below!


Newest Miss Representation Trailer (2011 Sundance Film Festival Official Selection) from Miss Representation on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for dropping by! I'd love to hear from you, so please feel free to leave a comment. If you enjoyed this post and are interested in keeping up with my blog, consider following me with Google friend connect or by email.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...